Your shopping bag is empty
6 Benefits of Manuka Honey and How To Choose It
In this article, we want to explore the 6 benefits of the famous Manuka Honey.
What is Manuka Honey
Manuka honey is a unique and highly regarded type of honey that originates from New Zealand. What sets it apart is its exceptional antibacterial and healing properties. It is from bees that gather nectar from the flowers of the native Manuka tree, scientifically known as Leptospermum scoparium. Manuka honey contains a compound called methylglyoxal (MGO), which gives it its potent antimicrobial activity. This makes it highly effective in combating bacterial infections and supporting wound healing. Manuka honey is graded based on its MGO content, with higher MGO levels indicating greater potency. Beyond its medicinal uses, Manuka honey is also enjoyed for its rich, earthy flavor and is often used in culinary creations and natural remedies. Its remarkable health benefits and versatility have made Manuka honey highly sought after worldwide.
Why is It Popular
In general, people use honey treat multiple conditions since ancient times. In addition, during 19th century, honey researchers started to discover that honey has natural antibacterial qualities.
Honey generally protects the body against damage caused by bacteria. Some honeys also boost production of special cells that can repair tissue damaged by infection. For example, Manuka honey has an anti-inflammatory action that can help ease pain and inflammation.
It was due to this discovery that made Manuka Honey as one of the most popular honey in the world.
6 Benefits of Manuka Honey
- Healing of wounds (cuts and abrasions): Manuka honey's unique antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties make it an excellent natural remedy for better wound healing. It creates a protective barrier over the affected area, helps prevent infection, and speeds up the regeneration of skin tissue.
- Treating burns: Manuka honey has been used for centuries to treat burns due to its ability to soothe the skin and promote healing. Its antimicrobial properties help reduce the risk of infection, while its natural moisturizing properties provide relief and support the recovery process.
- Skincare for conditions like eczema and dermatitis: Manuka honey's antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties can benefit individuals with skin conditions such as eczema and dermatitis. Its soothing and moisturizing effects help alleviate itchiness, reduce redness, and promote the healing of irritated skin.
- Soothing cough or sore throat: Manuka honey's thick consistency and antimicrobial properties make it an effective natural remedy for soothing a cough or sore throat. It can help alleviate irritation, reduce coughing frequency, and provide temporary relief.
- Good for Digestive Health when taken regularly: Consuming Manuka honey regularly can contribute to maintaining good digestive health. It acts as a prebiotic, promoting the growth of beneficial gut bacteria. Additionally, its anti-inflammatory properties may help reduce inflammation in the digestive system, providing relief for conditions like gastritis and acid reflux.
- Help prevent inflammation in the esophagus caused by radiation and chemotherapy used for cancer: Manuka honey has shown promise in helping to prevent or reduce inflammation in the esophagus caused by radiation therapy or chemotherapy used in cancer treatment. Its anti-inflammatory and soothing properties may help alleviate discomfort and support the healing process.
How to Choose Manuka Honey
When choosing Manuka Honey, one needs to bear in mind the following:
- Country of Origin,
- Processing of Manuka Honey needs to be according to locally recognized standards,
- The different gradings, such as the Unique Manuka Factor (UMF) or Methylglyoxal (MGO). This applies if you are looking for Manuka honey that is more potent (or “active”)
For more information of how to choose Manuka Honey, you may refer to this article.
LEAVE A REPLY
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *